Expert Reports & Failure Analysis
CFD Engineering provides consulting services on non-litigation projects to companies providing appraisal services on claims as well to industry clients for in-house, non-litigation or pre-litigation needs. We can be a reliable and competent partner for expert advice on system components for the generation of energy.
CFD Engineering provides its expertise in multidisciplinary analysis techniques to determine the cause of accidents and breakdowns of systems and / or components.
Accident/Failure investigations are often complicated by several factors such as the complexity of the equipment, the design and qualification of materials, incomplete operating and maintenance records. In addition, our engineering analysis are often required to assess in advance the potential scenarios of future errors and damage.
Forensic Analysis & Modeling
Failure investigations are often complicated by several factors: the complexity of the equipment, an unknown design and material history, the incomplete operational and maintenance records and the absence of key evidence. Engineering analyses are often required to evaluate potential failure scenarios.
The engineering analyses models typically used in our failure investigations include:
- Material Failure (fatigue, creep, corrosion, plastic flow)
- Stress (linear and nonlinear)
- Fracture Mechanics (linear elastic, elastic/plastic)
- Heat Transfer (steady state and transient)
- Fluid Mechanics (static and dynamic)
- Thermodynamics (reacting and non-reacting mixtures)
- Combustion (fires and explosion)
By hand calculations are often performed as a first cut to approximate the structure or describe the fluid behavior. This is done for two reasons: first to provide an initial screening of potential failure modes; second to serve as a check for later, more sophisticated and expensive computer models. Whenever data is insufficient to carry out this approach in an accurate way, then more sophisticated analyses are performed.
Some of the tools used to perform the engineering analyses include:
- Finite Element Modeling (FEM)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Statistical Analysis
- Custom Spreadsheets
- Computer Animations
Gas Turbine Failure Analysis
Early failure of power plant components often leads to long-lasting and unpredictable outages and, consequently, cause severe financial penalties. Particurarly with new parts, an extensive failure analysis and a failure Root Cause investigation, are foundamental for a clear identification of failure roots and their relief, so as to establish sufficient operation reliability.
CFD Engineering combines its extensive background and its long experience in turbo machinery and power plant technologies with the possibility of accessing modern laboratories of its national and international partners. The application of modern computational methods offer comprehensive and accurate failure analyses to develop case specific solutions and design improvements.
CFD Engineering has a proven knowledge on technologies for Siemens and General Electric (GE) gas turbines.
Our main focus is on guaranteeing the best service and the reliability of all power plant components. In detail, CFD Engineering services include :
- Failure documentation and on site inspection
- Assessment and evaluation of part’s loading and expected service life
- Assessment of the influence of certain flow situations on mechanical integrity
- Analyses and evaluation of excitation risks and causes
- Verification of operational data and evaluation of operational history
- Metallurgic analyses of crack surfaces
- Metallurgic analyses of material structures
- Evaluation of manufacturing and material quality
- Analyses of the chemical composition of materials
- Investigation of coatings
- Elaboration of expertise reports
- Development and evaluation of repair concepts and/or design improvement concepts